Friday, September 5, 2008

independence days - week 18


since i'm struggling to get the garden in again this year due to my rambunctious toddler, i thought taking the id challenge would be a good moral booster for me. i try to practice this idea anyway during the growing seasons so it's a great reminder of how much i really do even when it feels like i don't.

my parents' neighbors have a garden that produces enough veggies for the three households. since my garden isn't doing too hot, i've been accepting the overflow and reaping the rewards of filling my larder for the winter.

1. plant something:
^kohlrabi, parsnips, cabbage, carrots, rutabagas, chard, beets

2. harvest something:
^eggs, milk
^tomatoes
^grapes from my parents house
^okra
^green beans from neighbor's house again


3. preserve something:

^11 half pints ketchup
^froze 1 gallon okra
^sun dried (with dehydrator) tomatoes
^blanched and froze 1 gallon corn
^4 pints grape jelly

4. prep something:
^raised beds weeded & mulched
^replaced lemon juicer (thrift store find)
^thrifted three bags of clothespins

5. cook something:
^

6. manage your reserves:
^reviewed sheep shears and food processors
^made soap

7. work on local food systems:
^sold eggs and jellies at local farmer's market
^bartered with produce vendor: milk for veggies
^gave green beans to friend who gave me corn

8. reduce waste:
^use canvas bags at grocery store and farmer's market
^re-use egg cartons for our nest run eggs
^return containers to farmers at the market
^collecting packaging from grocery stores to store apples

9. Learned a skill:

2 comments:

Connie said...

I just surfed on an stopped to say 'Hi'

Great update. I'm amazed at the number of Independence Days there are out there.

Wild Wisteria Farm said...

I just wanted to stop by and thank you for the kombucha scoby you sent me a while back. I started making the tea right after I received the scoby and I am up to making about 3 liters at a time now. It took a couple of batches for the fizz to show up but I am enjoying the taste and fizz that it has acquired every day. I plan to share a scoby soon with my sister. Thanks again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails