Thursday, April 15, 2010

independence days challenge year 3

hello! remember me?! lol still around just swamped with herbally goodness, spring and kids. i've moved the herbal portion of my blog over to my herbal website. i hope to keep this blog for homesteading and homeschooling activities.

jumping back in to the idc seemed like a good place to start.

Planted: medicinal plants: solomon's seal, jacob's ladder, celadine poppy. we have dug up all the raised beds to move them and clean up the garden a bit so i have buckets of strawberries, horseradish and asparagus to transplant when greg gets the beds finished.

Harvested: chicken and turkey eggs, milk, nettles, chickweed, dandelion greens, burdock roots

Preserved: Nothing this week

Want Not: purchased 3 large bottles of everclear for medicine making. other than that, i have been staying out of the the stores for the most part.

Waste Not:  food scraps to chickens and/or compost (chickens dig in compost too),

Community: held herbal study group at my house, worked on my community medicinal herb walk at willoughby farm, did a presentation on the medicinal uses of culinary herbs for a local teacher's sorority; sold eggs, milk and yogurt to locals; hosted a sheep shearing work shop so people could watch and join in

Eat the Food: lots of nettles, eggs, milk (yogurt), violet flowers, dandelion flowers and greens, chickweed

7 comments:

nettlejuice said...

Spring is such a busy time. Thanks for the inspiration.
Just checked out the herbal roots willow issue and made willow tincture for the first time today. Only I'm not sure if the willow in our earthspace is white willow or cracked willow. I need to wait until the leaves get a little bigger for a positive id.

What will you use the celendine poppy for?
I planted some a few years back and now I have tons. The plant is one of my favorite spring flowers, but I've never made medicine with it.

Bless,
April

tansy said...

april - celandine is a low dose botanical that is good for treating tumors, herpes virus and epstein-barr. it must be used cautiously as it can cause liver damage and should never be used by those with low blood pressure. and, it's not to be used by pregnant or nursing women.

it's also been used externally to treat hemorrhoids and skin eruptions.

the orangy sap that comes out of the stem when picked can be used to remove warts and other skin tags by applying it directly to the spot to be removed. it has also been used as a temporary tattoo/dye (like henna). it can cause contact dermatitis though so it's best to test it on a small spot before drawing all over yourself with it. :)

Millie said...

I must say I've never tried nettle, but I know it has lots of benefits. My goats are the only ones around here that like to eat it.

tansy said...

oh millie, you really should try it! wear gloves when you harvest and just snip it about halfway down.

there are so many ways to prepare it! sauteed, steamed, in soups, casseroles and pasta....it's got a sweet mild taste to it that is a perfect addition to greens if you like greens.

this is inspiring me to write a post! stay tuned...

Omelay said...

i'm happy you are back blogging over here.

k-)

Gina said...

Me too!! I owe you an email (behind as usual!!)

The Unusual Farmchick said...

I wish I could buy everclear here...Its not sold in Ohio. Whenever we travel out of state we try to pick a bottle up fi we remember. (shooting you an email today- dandelion fest is this weekend and my printer is working again. Yay!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails