Saturday, February 12, 2011

Herbal Ally Challenge #5: Completed

I always enjoy reading up on processes. Even though I've made vinegars, tinctures, oils, etc. for years, when I read another herbalist's perspective, I always learn something new. While reading James Green's The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook chapter on Vinegars, I learned vinegars used to be the menstrum of choice before Pharmaceuticals took over and started creating tinctures in alcohol so they could have longer shelf life.

I also learned that women used to apply herbal vinegars to their faces as a tonic and facial cleanser. I've long used vinegar as a hair rinse but never thought to try it on my face! I'll be trying that with some soon.

I shall be using my vinegar on foods mostly. It will be a base for my oil and vinegar salad dressings as well as sprinkled on beans and eggs (I love poached eggs with vinegar!) I'm sure I'll find other ways to play with my vinegar, perhaps as a facial tonic, a soother for sunburns and hives and to treat poison ivy. Who knows what this summer will bring!

How was your week with acetum making?

1 comment:

Comfrey Cottages said...

Oh your poached eggs!? I will have to try this:) xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails