Saturday, April 18, 2009

anticipation

better than tv!

here she comes!

freshly hatched!

you're crackin' up man!

come here often?

it's my chicks in a box!

current count is 16 hatched, 14 living (the heat lamp got pushed over too far on their box and by the time i realized it, 3 had wilted. i was able to revive 1 but the other two were already gone. today is day 21, they started hatching on day 18 in the evening. this is our best hatch to date by either incubator or chicken (we started with 42 eggs).

ETA: looks like we're at 18 eggs hatching...a bit less than a 50% hatch rate, great for us! but very low compared to the average. better luck this fall!

3 comments:

Gina said...

Wow! I have not had great luck in this dept (a year or two ago we hatched two chicks out of about a dozen eggs). I can't believe I did not know this (a Duh moment to say the least), but apparently the USPS Xrays packages so if you send fertile eggs through the mail, you end up with an even lower hatch rate. I was hoping to order turkey eggs which are expensive, but now I don't know.

The chicks look great!

Anonymous said...

I am increasingly jealous of all the pictures I see of baby fowl. It looks like so much fun. Someday maybe it will be okay here in my town.

Maria said...

Awww, they are sooo cute! I can't wait to see our new little ones! I still have to figure out how to separate both mamas and their new chicks in the coop so that they don't go after each other.

How soon do you introduce them to the flock?

Related Posts with Thumbnails