Wednesday, April 8, 2009

tortillas


i ran out of yeast last week and i refuse to pay $8 at the store for a tiny jar when i have 2# worth arriving today in my coop order. so, i've been making lots of tortillas lately. the kids helped get in on the fun, rolling them out and flipping them in the pan. the downside to making your own? they taste so good you'll never want to buy them again.


basic recipe:
3 c. flour
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 c. warm water.

mix together and knead a few times. divide into 8 -12 balls, depending on your size preference. roll out until very thin. cook on a hot cast iron skillet that is ungreased. place on a plate and cover with a cloth napkin to keep warm. devour!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Your assistants are just too sweet.

Meadowlark said...

Looks like fun. I just put up my favorite dahl (naan) recipe... no yeast and tasty tasty!!!

Kelli said...

Thanks for the recipe. I made these for the first time. It was the sight of your able-bodied assistants that reassured me that I could do it. They were awesome as soft tacos for last night's dinner. Thanks so much and I enjoy your blog!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails